Friday, May 12, 2006

Cycle Cancelled

Had my ultrasound this morning which only showed two or three very small follicles on the left ovary. The right ovary couldn't be seen at all. The doctor mentioned the surgery I had previously on my right ovary and wondered if part of it had been removed. I reminded him that he had been "in there" in February, and surely he would have noticed. He had the grace to laugh at least.

He thought that given the low hormone levels to date, it was very unlikely that the right ovary was doing very much at all, so we left it at that and I waited for the blood test results to come back this afternoon. Unfortunately, the level had only increased to 503, which meant that going ahead with this cycle would be a huge gamble given that we only had two to three very small eggs.

So...decision made to cancel this cycle and try again next time - starting out a higher dosage with the hope of getting a better response. No guarantees, but at least we know now that I am a slow "responder" so they can keep an eye on that a bit earlier.

Right now the thought of starting all over again is really hard. But, I have proven that I can inject myself, that I can (mostly) have a normal work life while undergoing IVF, and why throw away all that money on a very iffy egg retrieval when waiting a month or two and upping the dosage might give us a better chance of success.

Yeah, I feel blue. I feel quite gutted right now. I feel like those 27 injections, those 3 blood tests, those headaches and tears, were all for nothing. But I also know it was the right call to make - that going ahead with lousy indicators was tantamount to asking for failure. I'd rather give it my best shot.

I'll be back.
Paula

7 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Paula,

I'm so sorry your cycle got cancelled. Sending hugs your way. Email me if you need to talk.

12:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Paula. That is such a bummer. I am sure they will get the dosage right the next time. If it makes you feel any better my left ovary is (and always has been) an underachiever. Hang in there! :)

Nat

2:24 AM  
Blogger Keeping The Faith said...

Many Hugs coming your way...You are in my thoughts... I'm sorry to hear about your news.

2:49 AM  
Blogger soralis said...

I am so sorry about your cancelled cycle.

Take care

4:37 AM  
Blogger Hopeful Mother said...

I'm sorry to hear about the cancelled cycle.

I hope that it will be "easier" next go round - and that the dosages will be better for you.

I know it kind of feels like it was for nothing, but you're right - it's better that they stopped it now than let it continue on a bad course.

Thinking of you...

11:10 AM  
Blogger Alli and Frankie said...

Starting over isn't easy - sorry you have to go through that.

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paula,

Sorry the cycle was cancelled, but you are right, it's better to wait until conditions are right. Keeping my fingers firmly crossed that the next cycle will be successful...

Karen

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Directory - Blogged