Thursday, September 03, 2009

She's a Girl!


Our anatomy scan yesterday morning confirmed my conviction that this was a little girl. She is beautiful - big and healthy, measuring close to 2 weeks ahead! That dream I had very early on was obviously right - where I was holding my wee girl in my arms - I take so much comfort from that dream, silly as it sounds.
We do have a small complication - what is known as "single umbilical artery or SUA" so instead of two arteries running to baby through the cord, we only have one. This occurs in up to 7% of all pregnancies and risk factors are maternal age over 40 (tick), caucasian mother (tick), female baby (tick) and diabetes (ha, not me!).
There is a VERY SMALL correlation between SUA and chromosomal abnormalities so the ultrasound technican took a long time to check everything out very thoroughly - heart, kidneys, bladder, brain etc. We spent a lot of time waiting for baby to unclench her tiny fists (clenched fists are a sign of chromosomal abnormalities, who knew!) but she finally did.
So, our wee miracle girl seems to be absolutely fine and I guess if there are any more concerns we will hear from our obstetrician. But I am not worried at all, I just have this serene sense that things are going to be just fine.
Oh but she is beautiful. And active. And definately quite stubborn. I cried a few times of course but my co worker Aasta was ready with tissues while Rupes just held my hand and didn't take his eyes off the screen the whole time! Her wee head diameter is 5cm now - and at nearly half way she is so strong and chubby and healthy, with long legs like her Daddy. I am truly truly blessed. And oh so very grateful for this wee one.
And yes yes, I will post a belly shot on Saturday, when I will be 20 weeks :-)

2 Comments:

Blogger Eden Riley said...

She's a girl! And she's beautiful!!!!!!!

Oh my goodness that is the best news ever, Pixmobile. So so so happy for you, can't wait to see a belly shot.

XOXOXOX

1:18 PM  
Blogger SassyCupcakes said...

So exciting! I'm so glad everything's looking good.

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Directory - Blogged