Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Ouch! My A**

After the first 10km race (the nice flat one) I was a little sore, a little tired. But not too bad. So, hubby and I decided it would be a good idea last Saturday for me to walk the route of the next 10km race which is next Sunday. It was a beautiful morning - foggy at our house but clear and fine over in Milford, so off we set. I have to say in advance that I hate hills, and this is a VERY hilly course, but on the advice (ha, I now hate him) of a personal trainer who happens to work where I do, I attacked the hills. As this was pre training only, I walked. No running, no jogging. Just a steady pace, a bit slower on the hills, a bit faster on the flats. Finished in 1 hour 34 minutes, and felt actually pretty good afterwards. He ran a bit further and did around 15km. It's hell being married to Mr Fit!

That night I went out with the "doggy park girls" for dinner, and a few too many wines and shots! Good fun, home at midnight, and though I was a bit stiff it wasn't too bad. Until Sunday morning when I rolled out of bed ready to start my day and cried out in agony. My butt was so sore - down the side and into the hips. I waddled around all day, and Monday was even worse. Today it feels slightly better, after a hot bath, a walk in the park with the dogs, and an hour long spa at our lovely neighbours place.

So, now the question is...as the soreness is easing, do I still go for the 10km race this Sunday? Or cut my distance back to 5km? Or miss this one entirely? I guess it will all depend on how I feel on the day...I really really want to do the 10km just to see what time I can do it in, and maybe with a LOT of stretching afterwards I can avoid the worst of the butt ache!

Other than that, I am very excited to be going to an author talk on Thursday night - one of my absolute favourite writers, Jodi Picoult. If you haven't read anything of hers, go get one (My Sister's Keeper is probably my fave) and curl up in a quiet corner and enjoy. I am really looking forward to hearing what she has to say. Oh, and if you are in New Zealand, make sure you go see "Second Hand Wedding" - a totally Kiwi movie and just lovely. I laughed and I cried.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Are you stretching before walking? I find that really helps.

I've been doing a lot of walking, between 6 - 10 miles a day. I took a deep breath and went out and spent the money on a decent pair of running shoes. They've made a huge difference to my comfort.

I don't know if you see a chiropractor, but it might be a good idea to go in and get your back checked out. Hip and bum pain can be a symptom of sciatica pain. An adjustment might fix the problem.

Congratulations and keep up the good work!! :-)

6:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Directory - Blogged