Sunday, August 06, 2006

Egg Retrieval...

Well, we got to the clinic at 9 and then sat in the car reading - didn't want to be too early! I was allowed three panadol at 9am with some water, and then that was it. They took us to a room with a lazyboy armchair for me, and a wooden chair for him (glad they got their priorities right) and we read and chatted for a while while the nurse, the doctor, and the embryologist visited us at various times.

Then, just after 10am, they took me through to the wee theatre, and doc got me to run hot water over my hands to help bring up the veins so he could put the shunt thing in. That stung a bit! Then oxygen up my nose, and lovely legwarmers over my feet and calves. The doc put some sedative into my hand and I got a little bit dizzy. Then, the needle went in - up and through the side of the vaginal wall, to the ovary. The nurse stood by and applied pressure to the plastic tubing whenever he was ready, and then handed each tube over to the embryologist.

It hurt a little - sharp pains, and what felt like tugging. It was quite nice laying there though and hearing the embryologist say "one egg"..."two eggs"..."that's three" all the way up to FIVE eggs. So, for each follicle, there was an egg, and they managed to get them all. Five eggs is better than I hoped for...

Then, while I was resting, hubby went off to do his sperm donation - he said they had a couple of good magazines in there so he didn't have any problems! And an hour later, we were allowed to come home, where I am going to spend the rest of the day on the couch resting up and taking Panadol. I have a little bleeding, but nothing too bad, though apparently I may get sorer as the day goes on.

Next hurdle...fertilisation. We'll know in the morning...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sound great - well done to both of you.. although I have to say... wee bit too much information for the little sister in the last paragraph!!! Lots of love and hugs to you both.. XXX CAT

1:59 PM  
Blogger Mony said...

Hoping for five out of five!
Glad the process went well for you....looking forward to the next report!

4:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yay! 5 out of 5 is excellent!!! I hope they're happily growing and dividing as we speak!!! Looking forward to hearing the fert report! Good Luck!

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations- 5 is awesome! Good luck for fertilisation...

10:08 PM  
Blogger soralis said...

Glad to hear that you are done with the retrieval. Good luck with the fertilization!

(My hubby was afraid to touch the magazines! LOL)

Crossing my fingers for you

3:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Directory - Blogged