Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The Roller Coaster Continues

Last night my doctor called me - my HCG on Friday was 3234, and Monday's test result was 3599. Definately not doubling. Not even close. We talked about the strong possibility that it was a "blighted ovum" where a placenta grows with nothing inside it. We talked about whether I should wait to miscarry naturally, or have a D and C. I cried a little after that call, but mainly just felt resigned.

Hubby picked me up and we went for our scan - I explained to the radiologist that we were looking at a blighted ovum scenario and all I really wanted to know was that the sac was in the right place in the uterus so there would be hope going forward that we could conceive again. The external scan showed a pregnancy scan, and we waited for her to tell us it was empty. She then did the internal scan, looked at us, and said "you guys have been through so much, I hate to make you wait anymore, but I am seeing a heartbeat and a yolk sac". Well. I just cried. Relief, fear, worry, confusion.

BUT the sac is measuring slightly behind at 5wks 4 days (today is 6wks 1 day) and the heartbeat is apparently a little slow too at 80 bpm. So, there is still cause for concern, and we are not out of the woods by a long shot. I have to say though, it was really special to see the heartbeat. That's never happened to us before!

So. We wait, I continue with my blood tests three times a week, and we book in for another scan in a week to ten days. I'm so tired and just stressed out, I have taken the afternoon off work and once this is posted I plan on a long afternoon snooze.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Is there a possibility that you may be less far along than you thought you were?

Hang in there. BIG HUGS

4:13 PM  
Blogger Rachel Inbar said...

Poor you :-(

If you really want to know the prognosis, they can do a full hormonal workup & see what the other values are. If they are normal for pregnancy, the prognosis is good.

I am still keeping my fingers crossed for you :-)

7:56 AM  
Blogger ellie said...

The heartbeat is always a bit slow to start but it can ramp up-- it's too soon to know. But I am hoping the best for you!

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Directory - Blogged